Keep your children safe + healthy. . .talk with them about sex!
As a parent, you want to help your kids stay safe and healthy. All kids learn about sex somehow, but it makes a difference when they hear it from you. Talk with your kids openly, honestly and often to help them learn how to prevent pregnancy and the diseases people can get from having unprotected sex.
Here are some basics to get you started:
- Start now. The earlier you start, the easier it is. You don’t have to be an expert. Just relax and learn with your child.
- Build your child’s trust in you. When you listen to your children and answer their questions honestly, you show them that you can be trusted.
- Talk about what’s important to you. When you and your children talk about your family’s values, your children will think about those values when they make choices in life.
- Help your children feel good about themselves. Let them know you love them no matter what. Young people who feel loved and supported by their parents make better choices for themselves.
- Know the facts. Both boys and girls need to know the basics. We can help our kids learn what to expect as they are growing up.
Click on the topics below to learn more about reproductive and sexual health.